Monday, March 03, 2008

I Want to Be a Princess

Every little girl’s dream is to become a princess, with her own Prince Charming to sweep her off her feet, ride with her on a white royal horse, ride away to a huge and majestic castle, and live happily ever after.

Well… almost every little girl.

There are those who never wished to be a princess, and instead wanted to be an astronaut and fly to the moon.

There were those who wished to be a scientist and spend all day in the laboratory concocting colorful chemicals to cure all illnesses.

There were those who got addicted to the TV series “6 Million Dollar Man”, and wanted to become bionic and save lives.

There were those who wanted to become an anthropologist and explore the pyramids of Giza and the ruins of Pompeii.

I was this girl. I never wanted beauty, grace and riches. I wanted to become an astronaut, a scientist, a bionic woman and an anthropologist.

While other little girls were pretending to be princesses and fairies, I was pretending to be one of those who are training to fly a rocket ship at NASA space camps. While others were pretending to put on make-up on their faces, I was pretending to mix colorful concoctions which will be the magic medicine in the future. While my other playmates were watching Cinderella and other Disney movies, I was hooked on 6 Million Dollar Man, and wanted to have bionic vision and strength. While my classmates were reading Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys, I was reading anthropology books featuring ruins of ancient civilization and cities.

But now… I don’t want to be an astronaut, a scientist, bionic woman, nor an anthropologist.

I… want… to… be… a… princess!!!

Now, I want to wear pretty shoes and dresses, eat sumptuous food, go to fun places, attend grand balls and parties, do graceful things and be treated like a princess.

Did I digress? Did I suddenly become so flaky and banal?

I thought really hard and reflected. I think that my desire to become a princess is because I’ve felt how it is to be a non-Princess. I have already become, in one way or another, an astronaut, a scientist, bionic woman, and an anthropologist.

I have been an astronaut. Although I’ve never been on the moon, I have flown over land and sea, and over the clouds during my travels. I have mixed not chemicals, but colors in my painting palette, and have created works of art. I’ve been under the scalpel twice, but not to be bionic, but to become better. I am not an anthropologist, but I have been to places which are considered to be the cradle of civilization.

I have become all the things that I’ve always wanted, and more. So now, being a princess will just be a piece of cake. After all, I think I am already a princess. Who says that a princess can’t fly to the moon, concoct medical magic, discover ruins and become bionic?

So please rise up and give way to the princess.


08:05 pm
03 Mar 2008
Fairview, QC

No comments: