Sunday, January 25, 2009

Ice Castles


They say that you can't forget your firsts -- first love, first heartbreak, first experience.

Tonight, I am watching again my very first favorite movie, Ice Castles. I was about 4 years old when I first watched it. And I fell in love with the movie, with Lexie, the ice skater.

My parents tell me that I know the story by heart, and I can tell it to friends and cousins.

In this sports melodrama that boldly illustrates the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat, Lynn-Holly Johnson plays Iowa farm girl Alexis Winston, who has a God-given talent for ice skating.

With the encouragement and training of the local ice-skating rink operator Beulah Smith (Colleen Dewhurst), she manages to win the first prize trophy at a regional ice-skating competition. At the competition, she is spotted by Olympic coach Deborah Machland (Jennifer Warren), who promotes her as an underdog competitor, and she skyrockets to fame.

Her career is going like gangbusters, until she is blinded in a freak accident. But with the help of her caring boyfriend Nick (Robby Benson) and her encouraging father Marcus (Tom Skerritt), she overcomes her depression just in time to prove herself at a major competition.

After 30 years, I am watching the movie again. This time, with new perspectives and interpretations. But still with the same enthusiasm that I had when I was a little girl.


10:05 pm
25 January 2009
Sunday
Fairview, QC

No comments: