Monday, February 25, 2008

Unang Hirit


It's been a while since i saw the sunrise. It's been months ago that i woke up this early.

Today, i was up since 4am. I suddenly woke up from a very bad dream, and couldn't go back to sleep after.

So after an hour of tossing and turning in my bed, i decided to start my day... very early.

Today is February 25, a non-working holiday, the anniversary of the People Power revolution.

I looked out my window... the compound was very quiet, not a soul in sight. Not even the roving guard was on the street.

Suddenly, the silence was broken by 4 individuals, all male. They were walking towards the main gate of the compound. Looking closely, i noticed that 2 of them stopped walking, and kissed right there, at the middle of the road. As if on cue, the other couple did the same. I sighed, happy at the thought that at least 4 souls were happy and content today.

For i know that today, a lot of hearts will not be as happy. On the contrary, hearts will be pumping with rage, dissent and discontent. People will be marching on the streets. Prayers and litanies will be spoken. Fists will be held up in the air, clenched in anger and disgust.

It's half past 5. I turned on the tv to a local channel. Unang Hirit (an early morning/breakfast talk show) was about to start.

The hosts were criticizing Gloria Arroyo, the woman some call president. According to Gloria, the world cannot forgive the Philippines should there be another EDSA revolution.

I am now wondering if her comprehension and mental faculty is as wanting as her height. Doesn't she realize that what the world cannot forgive, is for Filipinos to completely abandon their passion to fight for the truth, accountability and democracy?

I do not want to agitate my heart some more, so i will stop ranting now.

I will just pleasantly go on with my day. I want to be blissfully ignorant and apathetic to the causes, struggles and advocacies of the marginalized Filipino people. This is what 30-something people today are good at, anyway.

This is certainly not my unang political hirit. But I certainly hope this is the last.


05:50 am
25 Feb 2008
Fairview, QC

No comments: