Saturday, September 06, 2008

Blue’s Clues


I remember years ago that I used to watch this very amusing children’s show on ABC 5. It’s called Blue’s Clues. It’s a children's show about a dog named Blue. The series follows Blue through her everyday life, providing small children with fun and education.


The game of Blue's Clues begins near the beginning of the episode, when the Steve asks Blue a question. Blue responds by jumping at the screen and marking it with a blue pawprint, which is a sign that Blue wants to answer Steve’s question by playing Blue's Clues. Steve, with the help of the audience (who are constantly spoken to and asked questions by Steve), then searches the house for Blue's 3 clues. Along the way, Steve speaks with other residents of the house, often characters based on inanimate objects such as a side-table drawer, a salt shaker, and a mailbox. After all three have been found, Steve sits in his "thinking chair" and puts the 3 clues together, using a pen and the handy-dandy notebook, to form a central image. This image is the answer to Steve’s original question, which goes along the lines of "What does Blue want to do today?"


From 1996 to 2002, Blue's owner was Steve, a non-animated character played by Steven Burns. When Burns chose to leave the show, the character Steve went off to college and his younger brother Joe (played by Donovan Patton) moved in to take care of Blue.

A lot of kids love this show. And one of these kids is Summer, my lovely 5-year old niece. Last month, while we were watching re-runs of the show (I heard they stopped airing already), she was also doodling and drawing on her writing pad, which is basically several pieces of scratch bond paper stapled together to look like a drawing pad.

In the middle of the Blue’s Clues episode, she said, “Tita, di ba we should use scratch paper to save trees? Why is Steve and Joe not using the back page of their handy dandy notebook?”.

I felt proud that this little girl knew about loving the environment. It felt really good knowing that we’ve influenced her to think critically. So I told her to write to Steve and Joe. And below is her letter:

“dear Steve and Joe,

I’m always watching Blues clues and I noticed that you are not using the back page of your handy dandy notebook. Please write at the back to save paper.

Love, Summer”



She told me to send it to Steve and Joe. But before giving me her scratch pad paper, she told me, “Maybe they don’t know who I am.”. But I told her that it’s fine. She should just introduce herself.

I was surfing the net for the email address of the producers of Blue’s Clues. But since they’re off the air already, I can’t find any email address. Although the show’s off the air already, we still would like to send it to Nickolodeon.

Can anyone help Summer deliver her letter? Salamat!



10:15pm
06 September 2008
Santiago City, Isabela

No comments: